What if that was true – “you are what you eat”. And what if you ate junk food, too much food, or ate a lot of sugar? What if? What if? What if? Well, it IS true. You ARE what you eat. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but you know this already. You know it’s true. If you eat unhealthy, you will be unhealthy. If you eat healthy, you will be healthy. So how can you eat the best and be your best? Aah, healthy food choices.
There’s no quick and easy answer to healthy eating. You just have to do it. You have to make theconscious choice to eat better so you can live better and enjoy life longer. It’s creating a new habit; a healthy eating habit. If it was easy to change a habit, everyone would do it with ease. It’s not easy, but it IS possible! This is your action plan:
- Choose whole grains instead of bleached, bromated, processed white flours
- Avoid products with hydrogenated oils
- Drink plain ole water
- Avoid high fructose corn syrup like the plague
- Choose a variety of colored vegetables to eat every day (corn doesn’t count!)
- Eat your treats in moderation and not every night (i.e. healthy cookie 2 days/week NOT every night)
- Substitute healthy ingredients for typical recipes (i.e. dark chocolate for semi-sweet chocolate; whole wheat pastry flour for white flour; butter for margarine, etc.)
- Choose proteins that are hormone and antibiotic free.
- Use less sugar – choose local honey to sweeten.
- Eat fruit that doesn’t have wax on it.
- Plant your own garden if you’re able
- If you can’t pronounce the ingredients on a label, don’t buy it
- Add healthy oils to your diet (i.e. nuts, coconut, avocado, olive oil)
- Drink one cup of tea per day for it’s antioxidant properties
- Eat smaller, more frequent meals to keep your blood sugar regulated and your metabolism elevated.
BOTTOM LINE: Eat more WHOLE foods and less processed foods!