Here are some guidelines to get you through the holidays unscathed by the endless array of treats:
- Bring healthy food to a holiday party. Regardless of what else is there, you know your food will be “safe”.
- When tempted by a lot of yummies, go to the FOOD table first and eat real food. This way you’ll fill up on nutritious food before you go for the desserts.
- Eat a normal schedule. Don’t overindulge just because it’s the holidays. Calories are still calories – even on holidays!
- Work out! Do something to burn more calories.
- If cookie baking is too tempting and your will power is tested beyond capacity, try making non-edible holiday items, i.e. crafts, wreaths, decorations, etc.
- Refrigerate gravy and skim the fat off the top.
- Cook/serve more vegetable options than heavy carbohydrate meals.
- Substitute egg whites for whole eggs and skim milk for cream.
- Trim the fat off the meat.
- Limit alcohol consumption. It lessens your inhibitions and you tend to overeat. Ugh!
My trick to not eating the whole batch of cookies or brownies in 2 days – put them in the freezer!!! It requires more work to get them out of the freezer and let them defrost than it does to open the Tupperware container as I walk past in the kitchen. It slows me down a bit! LOL! Find what works for you and enjoy your healthy holiday eating!!